Wool

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5) - Hugh Howey

Oh. Em. Gee.

This is hands down the best PA novel I've ever read. And I've read plenty! Howey is amazing, and I can't wait wait to get the next two in the series. I do hate him just a little bit though for killing off three wonderful characters and bringing a tear to my eye.

I've not read anything of this calibre in a few months and it was a real gear change from the YA I've been immersing myself in. The detail and the layering was beautiful, and the whole notion of the silo and the reason behind it (I'm not going to spoil it for you) is incredible. It was nice to have a strong female protagonist, one so practical and independent, a real three dimensional character you can get behind. And speaking of three dimensional, the 'bad guy' here, well, he's bad alright, but you can see the reasoning behind the things he does, and however much you'd like to think that wouldn't be you...well...in that situation, who knows.

That's the thing with this one, the situation Howey presents is just bursting at the seams with thought provoking potential, the idea behind the novel will stay with me for a long, long time. A clear sign of a winner.

If you like Mira Grant, John Wyndham, or V M Zito, you'll enjoy Wool I'm sure.