Lynnwood, Thomas Brown

Lynnwood - Thomas   Brown

Thomas Brown's Lynnwood is a beautifully poetic, slow-moving, haunting read. He does an outstanding job of painting a picture of a rural idyll and then slowly, gently, peeling away the layers to reveal the horror that lies beneath.

The effortless slow-burn to his writing is to die for. The menace and suspense that are on a gradual build throughout the novel will have your nerves in absolute tatters towards the end. This is horror as it should be done - Brown doesn't resort to meaningless violence and gore to try and disgust you into terror, instead he quietly gets crawls inside your head and messes with it, like the true giants of the genre.

It's a short novel, and I don't want to spoil any surprises for you. I will say, though, that there's a Pennywise moment in an old, disused railway tunnel that King fans will feel right at home with. And for me, the most haunting moment of all occurs in Freya's kitchen, when she's caught raiding the fridge for a certain unwise snack by her children. When you read it, you'll know.

Lynnwood is a beautifully written, deliciously dark tale. It's hard to believe this is a debut novel. Thomas Brown is definitely a talent to watch.